Monday, June 6, 2011

Day Three - I Am A Sap and I'm Not Afraid To Admit It

Okay, the impetus (oooh SAT word) for this roadtrip was a wedding for the sister of Joanna's former college roommate.  We saw Kati and met Nate the night before (read previous post about dinner) and they seemed like a very happy couple. 

Saturday was a rainy day and though it seemed to dash all hopes of getting out and adventuring around the area.  Even the fact that there were several things that could be accomplished inside, we chose to stay close to the hotel and relax.  And before you say that we should have found something to do, let's just say that getting Joanna to relax is not always the easiest thing to do, so staying in is a great thing.  We napped.  We watched television and even caught up with some of our television shows by watching the episodes online.

Later in the afternoon, we sloshed through the pouring rain to the Catholic church where the ceremony would be taking place.  Most Holy Trinity Parish in Cameron Park sits atop a hill with a view of the entire valley.  It was a beautiful ceremony and the priest had some nice comments to make to the couple.  But the evening wasn't over yet.  We still had a party to attend.

The reception was held at a country club that also overlooked the valley.  Except that when we were there, the rain covered the valley and therefore we couldn't see much.  The reception was just like any other reception that you've been to as far as content, though the location and the decorations made the event even that more wonderful.  And Nate, being a firefighter, chose to cut the cake using a handaxe.  It was such a beautiful event that when the bride and groom finished their dance, the sunlight decided to peek through.  It was as if God was looking down on them and saying, "That's nice, let's bathe them in light."

But it wasn't until the standard father-daughter dance that I felt a twinge that gave me the title for this blog post.

The song chosen was My Little Girl, by Tim McGraw.  If you go out and look up the lyrics, you'll find that they are very special words, not just to the bride and her father, but also to me.  I stood there, looking down at Abby sleeping in her carrier and was reading the words to the song.  And I just couldn't help but think about that day long in the future where I'm going to be giving Abby away at her wedding and dancing a dance with my little girl.  I can admit that I was a bit teary eyed and wondered exactly what that day was like.  I mean, it's not for several more years from now and yet, it's something that I have a feeling I'll think about every time I'm at a wedding and I see the father daughter dance.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

UGH! - now you made me all teary eyed!

Mom said...

You do not give the bride away! You walk her to the altar and present her to the groom! It also made me teary eyed.
Mom